Monday, March 31, 2008

KLIM Half Marathon 2008

KLIM. What did I make of it? A tough route that looks lame and good at deceiving hopefuls. Nevertheless I didn't train enough for it, so I reaped what I sow. No use for complaining that I didn't do well enough, or I was actually hoping to finish the same time I finished GE 20km for which I clocked 2:35. Started at the back of the pack as I reported and got into the cage late. 2 minutes had past before I got to hear the beeping sound caused by my chip crossing the rubber mat. Then I heard the subuh azan, and I promptly stop and stood at the pavement behind a van, to perform my prayers. I was sufficiently covered so there was no need to where the customary telekong to pray. After 3 minutes of peace with God, I continued what I was there for - to finish the 21km in a respectable time, at least 2:35 or the most was 2:45. At a time when the other half-marathoners were already out of sight, save for some gentlemen who were behind a bus stop, performing their prayers as well, one word came to mind - straggler. I always read the word at Haza's blog but never in my mind that I thought I would be one of them stragglers, who's place in the race was always at the back of the pack. God did heard my loathing and sent me a pacer in a form of a latecomer by the name of John. He was late reporting for the race and somehow stuck at the back. Apparently he was a good runner but he was a good sport and offered me support in a form of a pacer. We ran side by side and sometimes took turns to be at the front, him correcting my running gait and offered me tips as we went along. If it wasn't for John, I think I would quietly ran into oblivion and might just as well give up the entire race due to lack of spirit that morning. The thing about me and anxiety is I always give myself into anxiety and let anxiety win over me. God is Great and He didn't want me to lose the fight. We started at the back and slowly picked up pace, taking over(a.k.a. potong sayur-sayuran) after the Federal highway near Midvalley, the road leading to Seputeh and next to Sungai Besi airport. Sungguh sedap sekali memotong sayur-sayuran especially after downing a Powergel at what kilometer I also don't know. Note to organizers: you people are crap at putting markers. Don't you know that people like me need to have km markers to remind myself of how many km's left to finish the darn race! Please next time, put markers. Kalo aku buat 10km je takper.. ini buat 21km.. tergagau-gagau meraba jalan. Dahlah marshall pun tak reti-reti nak jaga jalan. Kat jalan besar dalam KL tu, selamba jer kereta lalu lalang. Dan aku ni pulak jenih yang bila time race, tak reti-reti nak check ada kereta tak kat belakang atau depan sebelom melintas. Well, you can't blame me totally for my ignorance. You the organizers are supposed to take care of the roads for us. If we had to watch the roads, halt the cars, etc, might as well we jadi marshal terus :P OK enough rantings. Back to my 3-hour-half-mara story. Upon entering the road near DBP, I was trying to calculate in my head, How many km do I have left to run? The Adidas guys didn't have a clue. John said, maybe 5 km more. I t was already 2 hours lapsed. If I were to get the same timing as GE, I have to start pushing my way to the finish line. But my staying power only lasted for 5 minutes before it started to wane and me running at snail pace again. Bummer :P I must admit that I almost gave up. I just want to stop this silliness and admit for once, I am not made to do this sport. But I tried my damndest to be mentally focused and move one feet at a time. Thighs had started to feel the brunt of long-distance running. This was not good. I thought to myself, Layan jer(just get on with it).. There's nothing that I can do now except to move forward and finish it as soon as possible. I can't be bothered to check my heart rate. I think my heart rate went to the moon and never come back. I saw people walk-running and I was tempted to do so. But I reminded myself quickly that I was there to run and running was all I will do that day. Somehow the 100 plus that I downed gave me gas. Trapped gas that is, causing my tummy to bloat and making me run in discomfort. Damn. I never did like 100 plus while running. I preferred taking 100 Plus Power or plain water coz they are not carbonated. The sight of Jalan TAR never made me happier. At that point, 1km to finish line, I was joined by Fook who had just started running long distance again. We chatted a bit while running and later at 200m to finish, my watch showed 2:58 and I was hoping to dip at least below the 3 hour mark. So I sprinted to the finish line. 10 meters to go, tears welled in my eyes. Finally the pain will be over! Grabbed the goodies bag that contained a medal and started looking for my colleagues who were running at the event too. I went to get cornflakes and Milo from the van. Met with Raz and Ahlai at the Milo van and chatted a bit. Despite having finished the run an hour ago, the pain at my stomach hadn't subside. This was when the drama began. My first venture into the Medical tent. Met Adrian, who did his first marathon that day - good for you, mate - and chatted a bit. I felt a bit rude to cut him off while we were chatting for I can't stand the pain in my tummy anymore. I brought myself to the medical tent and asked for help. I was taken to a examination bed that was closed with some blue drapes(so sorry, I'm bad at this haha), laid down and the nurse sprayed some anti-cramp medication on my stomach, and then put some cold compression on my abdomen area. The pain was on and off. When it came, I was near tears, trying to absorb the pain and waiting it to subside, only to feel the pain coming again a few minutes after that. It was a horrible feeling, I tell you. Doctor was asking me if I felt better after the cold compression, but I told him that the pain was on and off. Lin visited me at the tent and stayed for a few minutes and I put on my cheerful face and entertained her for a bit. After she left, still the pain hadn't subsided completely and I was writhing in pain again. Doctor thought I had stomach upset and maybe bloating that caused my tummy to ache so much. "Makan apa pagi tadi?" he asked. "Powerbar" I said. He told the nurse to give me anti-bloating medication, which I suspected was milk of magnesia by the taste of it. By then I already pulled myself to sit on the bed and took off my shoes to be more comfortable. I rubbed my foot and burped at the same time. 5 minutes later, I was on my feet again and the pain had thoroughly gone. Alhamdulillah. So that's my half marathon story. To analyze the situation, I think I have underestimated the distance and the character of the route. During GE, I knew the route was hilly and prepared myself very well for it mentally and physically. And I ran through my strategy for it over and over again in my head. With KLIM, it is just 1km more than GE but I had dragged half hour more to my timing. Probably due to lack of rest the night before, lack of training, underestimating and not respecting the distance and route. And I think I have look into my nutrition problem again. Probably have some bread and light breakfast before the race. And always, ALWAYS be prepared for the worst case scenario. pic courtesy of Jaja, the plantar girl ;)

3 comments:

niefeng said...

alhamdulillah nasib kau selamat, kawan aku pun solat tepi bus stop gak, tahniah dari aku sekali lagi, so what next???

Anonymous said...

Aini and Pesa, congrats to both of you! To me, i think its an amazing feat what you did. Tak kisahlah berapa timing kau buat, the fact that you actually ran for 21km, how many people can be proud of doing that at our age (toksah cite ler zaman remaja2 dulu). Anyway Aini, mana medal?? Nape tak tunjuk dalam gambar?

niefeng said...

time kasih mie
aini i do agree with you psl 100 plus tu la, lps aku minum rasa berat kaki nak lari menyesal den, satu lagi tempat cooling adidas tu, (cam shower tu) aku masuk mak aii lps tu berat baju, rasa mcm nak buang aje,

..::disclaimer::..
website ni bukan official website mrsm taiping... mau carik official punya, http://www.mrsmkm.edu.my/taiping/. segala isi kandungan dalam blog ni tak mewakili mrsm taiping dan MARA. Untuk cari Ansara Cawangan Taiping, bleh p ke http://www.actorg.net. Kat ACTorg.net, webmaster dia Abg Damit.... website ni utk geng2 mrsm taiping batch 9495 lay-park, borak2, merapu, meroyan, melalak.

jemput tengok dan tengok lagi.. kalau tak puas jugak bleh la tinggal message ka, letak comment ka... mau Lagi??? email la sama wa kat taiping9495 at gmail dot com.

terima kasih kat sapa2 yg tolong website ni secara jualan langsung atau black market....

article yg ada dlm ni adalah hakcipta blog ni kecuali ada dinyatakan dicilok dari sumber2 tertentu... segala komen yg dibuat dalam blog ni takde langsung mewakili blog nih.. komen2 tu adalah hak dan rekacipta org yg tulis komen tu... ada paham? webmaster ada hak utk meng'edit', meng'keluar'kan mana2 post yg dirasakan tidak sesuai